Home - Academic - Master of European and International Law - Admissions


What are the admission requirements?

Applicants for the Master of European and International Law must have obtained or be expected to obtain a law degree (Bachelor of Laws, State Examination or equivalent) prior to enrolment at CESL.

If English is not your first language and was not the language of instruction for your entire first degree then you must also satisfy CESL's English language requirements. Evidence of your linguistic ability will be required and you will need to submit a valid English test score:

1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 100.
2. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 7.0.

What are the required documents for international students?

1. Copy of passport

2. English CV (chronological)

3. Secondary school degree

4. Completed application form (please download here2021+MEIL+Application+Form.pdf)

5. Letter of recommendation, written in English by a professor from a university where you studied. The signed letter should be sent directly by the professor to the email address indicated below.

6. Copy of your degree certificate and an English translation

7. Academic transcript (including the grading scheme) demonstrating your legal studies and an English translation

8. Copy of TOEFL or IELTS certificate, or other documents certifying that your undergraduate studies were in English

9. Completed Financial Statement (please download here2021+MEIL+Financial+Statement.pdf)

Please submit applications via email to cesl-master-programme@jura.uni-hamburg.de. Please present originals of all documents bearing your signature at registration

Application deadline

The application deadline for the 2021-22 MEIL programme is 1 June 2021.

For mainland Chinese applicants, required documents and admission procedures differ slightly. Please find further information in the admission notice for Chinese applicants.

Admissions Policy

CESL carefully evaluates each applicant based on the application materials submitted. CESL does not hold an entrance examination for international students. However, CESL may conduct interviews by telephone, with alumni, or use other ways thought necessary to assess potential candidates.

Admission to CESL is based on merit. Thus, it is recommended and encouraged that all applicants provide CESL with any materials that can demonstrate their achievements.

CESL aims to promote geographical, cultural and ethnic diversity through its admissions policy.

Visa information for non-Chinese students

International students studying in China must hold an ordinary passport and a valid X1 visa to enter China and a Student Resident Permit while enrolled in the Master of European and International Law programme.

Applicants should apply for a Chinese visa at their nearest Chinese Embassy, Consulate or Chinese Visa Center. The X1 student visa is valid for one entry.The following documents are usually required for the visa application:

1. A current passport with at least 12 months of validity and at least one blank page

2. A signed Visa Application Form with one passport photo

3. An approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW202 Form) issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education (CESL obtains this document for students)

4. The CESL admission letter from the university, both the original and a photocopy (the original will be checked and returned to the applicant)

5. A medical certificate.

Students must check with their local Chinese Embassy whether they need additional documents.

After their arrival in Beijing, foreign students need to apply for the Student Residence Permit within 30 days. This permit is valid for one year and allows for multiple entries. Students need a health certificate to apply for the Student Residence Permit. If they had their medical check before travelling to China, the certificate must be authenticated, e.g. at the Haidian Clinic of Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center. For this purpose, students must bring the original copy of both the health certificate and the medical check report (including a printout of the ECG-curve, hepatitis and HIV screening, and a chest x-ray, preferably in English). The China-EU School of Law in Changping assists students with the necessary procedures both for the X1 visa and the Student Residence Permit application, if questions arise. Students are asked to bring copies of their passport and extra passport photos to China.

Dates and deadlines 2021-22

1 June

Application deadline CESL

30 June

Applicants are informed via email of the admissions decision. The admission exams for Chinese students take place in June or July.


Successful applicants receive their letter of admission via post, where applicable, including the Student Visa Application Form (JW202 Form) issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education; non-Chinese students can then apply for a visa and book their flights.


The academic year starts at the beginning of September.


Visa and travel restrictions will be updated according to the development of the coronavirus pandemic.