Home - Academic - International Master of Chinese Law - Admissions


Applicants must meet the following conditions:

1. Be a citizen of a country other than the P.R. China

2. Have obtained or be expected to obtain a law degree (Bachelor of Laws, State Examination or equivalent) prior to  enrolment at CESL.

3. Be proficient in English, demonstrated by being a native English speaker, having completed undergraduate studies in English, or by holding a valid TOEFL with a minimum score of 100 or an IELTS 7.0 or a Cambridge Test for Advanced English (CAE) certificate.

Application deadline

The “early bird” application deadline for the 2024-25 IMCL programme is 15 March 2024. In case of still available places applications are welcome until 30 April 2024.

Documents required

Applications should be submitted to: imcl_cesl@cupl.edu.cn. The following documents are required for the application:

1. Copy of passport and one-inch identification photo

2. Completed application forms (please download here 2024 IMCL Application Form.pdf and CUPL APPLICATION FORM FOR ADMISSION)

3. English CV

4. Letter of recommendation, written in English by a professor from a university where the applicant studied

5. Copy of degree certificate and an English translation (if already obtained)

6. Academic transcript (including the grading scheme) demonstrating the applicant's legal studies and an English translation

7. Copy of TOEFL, IELTS, CEFR or CAE certificate, or equivalent

8. Completed financial statement (please download here 2024 IMCL Financial Statement)

9. Physical examination results or report (This document is to be submitted at the latest upon enrollment)

All students enrolling must bring originals of these documents bearing their signature to registration. All the candidates must buy insurance if accepted.

Admissions policy

The China-EU School of Law carefully evaluates each applicant based on the application materials submitted. Admission is based on merit. Thus, it is recommended that all applicants provide the School with any materials that can demonstrate their achievements. The School considers geographical, cultural and ethnic diversity of students as one of its greatest assets. CESL does not hold an entrance examination for international students. However, CESL may conduct interviews by telephone, with alumni, or use other ways seen as valuable to assess potential candidates.

Visa information

International students studying in China must hold an ordinary passport and a valid X1 visa to enter China and a Student Resident Permit while enrolled in the International Master of Chinese Laws programme.

Applicants should apply for a Chinese visa at their nearest Chinese Embassy, Consulate or Chinese Visa Center. The X1 student visa is valid for one entry. The following documents are usually required for the visa application:

1. A current passport with at least 12 months of validity and at least one blank page

2. A signed Visa Application Form with one passport photo

3. An approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW202 Form) (CESL obtains this document for students)

4. The CESL admission letter from the university

5. A medical certificate

Students must check with their local Chinese Embassy whether they need additional documents.

After their arrival in Beijing, foreign students need to apply for the Student Residence Permit within 30 days. This permit is valid for one year and allows for multiple entries. Students need a health certificate to apply for the Student Residence Permit. If they had their medical check before travelling to China, the certificate must be authenticated, e.g. at the Haidian Clinic of Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center. For this purpose, students must bring the original copy of both the health certificate and the medical check report (including a printout of the ECG-curve, hepatitis and HIV screening, and a chest x-ray, preferably in English). The China-EU School of Law in Changping assists students with the necessary procedures both for the X1 visa and the Student Residence Permit application, if questions arise. Students are asked to bring copies of their passport and extra passport photos to China.

Visa will be updated according to the requirements of the National Immigration Administration (NIA) of the People’s Republic of China.

Dates and deadlines 2024-25

15 March

Application deadline

15 April

Applicants are informed via email of the admissions decision.


Successful applicants receive their letter of admission via post, including the Student Visa Application Form (JW202 Form) issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education; students can then apply for a visa and book their flights.


The semester starts at the beginning of September.

Download the flyer here.